Pulmonary Rehabilitation Center
There is no worse feeling than being “short of breath.” If you have been diagnosed with a lung disorder, the Hurley Pulmonary Rehabilitation Center can help you breathe easier and continue the activities you love. The Pulmonary Rehabilitation program combines exercise with education, breathing retraining, and psychological social support.
Individualized programs can be set up for patients who suffer from a variety of lung disorders, such as:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Chronic Bronchitis
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Lung Cancer
All treatment is administered by a licensed registered Respiratory Therapist.
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program seeks to:
- Reduce your shortness of breath and the anxiety that it brings
- Increase your exercise tolerance and ability to perform normal daily activities
- Help you better understand your lung disorder
- Educate you regarding the proper use of respiratory medications
- Teach you to master proper breathing techniques
- Provide instruction and motivation for you to start and maintain a home exercise program
How the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program works:
After a physician referral is received, you will undergo a comprehensive evaluation which includes an interview and a 6 minute walk with your oxygenation checked by a respiratory therapist.
The Pulmonary Rehab Program is a 12 - 16 week exercise program which meets three times a week at Hurley Medical Center. During these monitored and customized therapy sessions, you will use hand weights, strengthening bands, indoor walking loop, an ergometer, treadmills, stationary bikes and recumbent stair steppers.
An optional self pay exercise maintenance program is available to continue your customized exercise regimen. Phase 3 can last as long as you wish.
For more information about the program or to schedule an appointment, call 810-262-2213.