Hurley Children's Hospital
The region’s undisputed leader in children’s health care
Hurley Medical Center has developed a pediatric program of exceptional quality and national recognition. We provide the most outstanding clinical care for our region’s children and their families. In order to provide our children with the very best physicians, nurses, and treatment options available, not only now but in the future, we have Hurley Children’s Hospital, the premier pediatric medical facility in the region.
This leading-edge facility, located within Hurley Medical Center, delivers the latest technologies and today’s most innovative treatments, eliminating the need for families to travel far from home for specialized services. In addition, it has been designed around the comfort and well-being of our patients and their families, and specializes in patient- and family-centered care.
A medical center of excellence for our community’s children
- The region’s only Pediatric Emergency Area: A special place just for children’s emergency needs allow us to be more equipped than ever to provide the highest level of specialized emergency and trauma care to seriously ill or injured children. Specifically designed with children in mind, our Children’s Hospital Emergency Department is the only pediatric emergency center in the region.
- The region’s only Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU): Our highly-specialized PICU delivers the highest level of critical care to patients ranging in age from newborns to 20 years old who are critically ill or who will become critically ill or injured.
- The region’s only Burn Unit: Our Burn Unit is the only facility in the region to provide burn care from injury to recovery for children. One of only six such units in the state, it serves a wide region across central and northern Michigan. Together with our Level 1 Trauma Center and PICU, our Burn Unit is staffed by physicians, nurses and other medical personnel specially trained in the unique medical and emotional needs of children.
- Hemophilia Treatment Center: One of nine federally- and privately-funded centers in Michigan, our Eastern Michigan Center for Bleeding and Clotting Disorders provides complete medical management and home care services to children with bleeding and clotting disorders such as hemophilia, von Willebrand’s disease, platelet disorders, thrombosis and thrombophilia.
- Children’s Miracle Network Hospital: Since 1990, Hurley has been designated a Children’s Miracle Network Hospital®, a system of 170 children’s hospitals across the United States and Canada that is dedicated to providing the very best care for sick and injured children. Hurley Medical Center was invited to join this group of special hospitals in 1990 because we were recognized as providing the best pediatric-centered care in our region to every child who needs it, regardless of the family’s ability to pay.
We’re taking action to keep children out of the hospital
- Hurley Children’s Clinic at the Flint Farmers’ Market: Over 16,000 pediatric visits are seen at Hurley Children’s Clinic annually, which directly supports our Children’s Hospital goal of keeping the communities we serve healthy and out of the hospital. Playing a critical role in our community, Hurley Children’s Clinic is committed to providing state-of-the art medical services to sick and injured children.
- Child Abuse Prevention: Child abuse and neglect are serious problems in our community and we are committed to stopping these potentially fatal events. The most important action is to identify these cases and intervene as quickly as possible so that the abusive cycle can be stopped. Our Children’s Hospital has on staff one of only six board certified child abuse specialists in Michigan.
- Injury Prevention: To get life-saving information out into the community, our Injury Prevention team members are constantly reaching out to the people of Flint and beyond, teaching them how they can prevent injuries. Partnering with schools, police and fire departments, community groups, car dealerships, and countless local businesses, our Injury Prevention Programs are making great strides at promoting safe habits and keeping our community’s children healthy.
- Hurley Center for Health Outcomes: Childhood obesity is far too prevalent in Flint and we are committed to changing that. Our Hurley Center for Health Outcomes is committed to helping people control diabetes, lose weight, eat healthier, exercise, and live healthier lifestyles. We talk to children and their families about their health and conduct screenings which can identify potential problems or conditions.
- Child and Family Services: Child and Family Services provides emotional support for our pediatric patients from birth to young adulthood. These caring, compassionate professionals recognize that undergoing treatments and procedures, and just being in the hospital, is often a very scary experience for children. By interacting one-on-one with our young patients, Child and Family specialists assess each child’s needs and provide interventions.