Requirements for Bariatric Surgery
Weight loss (or bariatric) surgery isn’t for everyone, but it may be the right option for you if you meet certain requirements and are willing to work with your care team to achieve success with your chosen approach. To find out if you meet the requirements, simply use our BMI Calculator to see if yours falls within the ranges shown below.
Requirements for RNY Gastric Bypass, Sleeve Gastrectomy or Adjustable Gastric Band:
- At least 18 years old
- 80 - 100 pounds or more over your ideal weight
- A BMI of 35-39.9 with at least one chronic health condition related to obesity, such as:
- Type 2 Diabetes
- High Cholesterol
- High Blood Pressure
- Reflux Disease
- Urinary Stress Incontinence
- Sleep Apnea
- A BMI of 40 or greater (No chronic, obesity-related health condition necessary)
- Little or no success with more conservative weight loss methods
- Willing to make lifelong lifestyle changes
- Willing to commit to long-term follow-up care
You’ll also need to be medically cleared for surgery by your primary doctor and complete a psychological evaluation.
Insurance coverage for bariatric surgery varies. At Hurley we will work with you to obtain coverage whenever possible. Here is a general guideline of the process Hurley uses or start the ball rolling by contacting your insurance company for their specific authorization process.
Attend a Seminar
Above all, we recommend that you join us for a live seminar–or check out the new online version from the comfort of your home. You’ll learn about the various weight loss procedures we offer as well as the benefits and risks associated with each approach. Covering topics like body mass index, diet and causes of obesity, our bariatric experts will give you the tools you need to make an informed decision about the next steps in your weight loss journey.