Child and Family Services
They Make It Better for Your Child
It’s scary to be in the hospital, especially for kids. Unfamiliar situations and surroundings can make children feel overwhelmed and out-of-control. Hurley Medical Center’s Child and Family Services program can ease fears and put a dose of “normal” back into young lives disrupted by illness, injury or disability. Hurley has always understood that children need this special lift, which is why our program has been around in some shape or form for 40 years.
What is Child and Family Services?
Child and Family Services is a team of trained professionals who work with Hurley doctors, nurses, social workers and others to help children and their families cope with the stress and uncertainty that comes with being in a hospital environment. They are onsite regularly to promote effective coping through play, self-expression activities, and age-appropriate medical preparation and education. Despite all they do, your child will see them as good friends who always come through.
Child and Family Services Team:
- Walk children through medical procedures so they know what to expect
- Communicate in terms children can understand
- Provide coping strategies to help reduce anxiety and promote cooperation with the healthcare team
- Provide support and distraction during medical procedures
- Offer opportunities for play and expressive activities such as art and music therapy to encourage normal development and a sense of fun in spite of challenging circumstances
- Promote family-centered care by providing information, advocacy and support to families of pediatric patients.
Child and Family Services help children in Pediatrics, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), Pediatric Emergency Department, Gastroenterology, Pediatric Oncology, Surgery, Radiology and in the Burn Unit. To find out if services are available for your child’s visit to Hurley, please call 810.262.9577.
Your generosity in action
This program is funded through The Children’s Miracle Network and the Hurley Foundation. Thanks to generous people like you, we can ensure that children have this added support to help them get through their medical procedures or treatments. If you are interested in supporting Child and Family Services at Hurley, please call 810.262.9577 or donate online to make it better.