Pediatric Hematology / Oncology
Get the Home Field Advantage
You’d go to the moon and back for your kids, but you shouldn’t have to. Not when Hurley Medical Center provides expert, compassionate care close to home. Children with cancer or blood disorders and their families can get the care they need through our comprehensive services.
Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Clinic
When it comes to treating childhood cancers and blood disorders, we don’t play around. As the region’s only member of the Children’s Oncology Group (COG) and one of only eight in the state, Hurley Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Clinic gives children and adolescents access to all of the most advanced treatments and clinical trials. Our team of pediatric specialists, including doctors in orthopedics, neurology, surgery, radiation and pediatric oncology nurses, are prepared to guide patients on the journey back to health through:
- Transfusion Therapy
- Infusion Therapy
- Laboratory Services
- Methodical Exams
As leaders in the fight against childhood cancer and blood disorders, we’ve been battling these diseases long enough to know how scary it is for young patients and their families. Our goal is to make treatments, procedures and testing more bearable wherever possible. That’s why we offer:
- Child Life Specialists
- Medical Social Workers
- Procedural Sedation Team
Patients and their families can rely upon our expert staff in pediatric critical/intensive care to provide full sedation services for procedures and diagnostic imaging. Our Child Life Specialists are pros at getting patients’ minds off discomfort and offering companionship and activities to ease the stress of being in a hospital environment. Medical social workers keep tabs on a patient’s mental well-being, an important factor in healing.
Hurley’s track record in providing exceptional care is evident when relationships forged over the course of treatment go on even after medical treatment has ended. We vow to become more than a hospital. We’re your home base.
Pediatric Sickle Cell Clinic Office
Provides support to primary care physicians in diagnosis and long-term follow-up care through:
- Screening to confirm sickle cell disease
- Testing to determine whether or not patients are carriers
- Education and counseling for pediatric patients with sickle cell disease
- Education and counseling for pediatric patients with sickle cell trait
- Ambulatory care for children with sickle cell related problems
- Disease management for sickle cell and other hemoglobinopathies
- Collaborative care for surgical problems associated with sickle cell disease
- Referral services to address complications in the form of orthopedic, neurologic, renal, cardiac, opthalmic and pulmonary issues
- Innovative interventions to ward off complications whenever possible
- Outpatient care of acute problems and admission to Hurley Medical Center when necessary
- Outpatient transfusion therapy for pre-operative preparation and within the Stroke Prevention guidelines
Eastern Michigan Hemophilia Treatment Center
We treat a wide range of bleeding and clotting disorders through:
- Diagnostic Evaluation
- Complete Medical Management
- Preventive Care against complications
- Home care services for the whole spectrum of blood disorders
Part of a national network of Hemophilia Treatment Centers, the Eastern Michigan Hemophilia Treatment Center brings together doctors, nurses, physical therapists, social workers psychologists, dietitians and genetic counselors to treat hemophilia, von Willebrand disease, platelet disorders, Thrombophilia and Thrombosis. We make a priority of preventing complications—such as joint damage—that can result from bleeding.
Other Program Benefits:
- Federally funded and supported by grants from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Maternal and Child Health Bureau
- Opportunities for patients to participate in studies through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
When facing a battle against cancer or a blood disorder, your child deserves the home field advantage. Childhood illnesses are hard enough to face without having to travel for miles. Let Hurley Medical Center devote all of our resources to help your family fight right here, at home.