The Top-Level Treatment Seniors Deserve
Seniors represent a lifetime of experiences. For that alone they deserve our respect. At Hurley’s Senior Center of Excellence, located within Hurley Medical Center, we give patients age 65 and older access to specialized care from medical professionals trained with their unique needs in mind. Our NICHE program (Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders) has achieved Exemplar status, which is the highest geriatric nursing honor awarded by the Hartford Institute at New York University. This accreditation speaks volumes about our ongoing dedication to our valued seniors.
Perks for Patients 65 and Up
Like senior coffee at your local fast food chain, these services are just for you.
- No-Wait ER Experience - get fast-tracked into a room
- Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP) - a proactive measure for seniors that protects against the risk of delirium and functional decline while hospitalized
- ACE Unit (Acute Care for the Elderly) - this nursing unit features touches of home: low-glare lighting, non-skid flooring, lower beds and spacious bathrooms
- Geriatric Nurse Specialists - a care team with age-specific training to complement the expertise of bedside nurses.
- Osteoporosis Program - protects geriatric patients from future fractures
Count the Ways We Prioritize Specialty Care
- Wound Care Clinic
- Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Brain Function and Assessment Center for Alzheimer’s and Dementia Patients
- Palliative Care
- Osteoporosis Bone Health Program
HELP: A Team Devoted to Your Every Need
Studies suggest that people over 65 face increased risks while hospitalized. Hurley Medical Center addresses the unique needs of older patients through the Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP). Comprised of a Geriatrician, an Elder Life Specialist, Geriatric Nurse Specialists and trained volunteers, the HELP team’s mission is to guard against the decline that may occur during a hospital stay. Hurley is the only hospital in the area to offer this added layer of care and comfort for patients age 65 and older. The HELP team works with patients, families and bedside nurses to promote early mobility after surgery, prevent delirium, ensure good sleep patterns and combat other risks that exist for senior patient populations.
Another way we elevate overall quality of hospital care for older patients is Hurley’s Geriatric Fracture Center. The center builds on the advantage of having a Level 1 Trauma Center to manage geriatric fractures like no other facility can.
Step Out Safely with Our Outpatient Programs
Nothing strikes dread in older adults and their loved ones more than the words: “I’ve fallen.” Now it’s possible to avoid falls linked to balance and coordination problems with Hurley Safe Steps. This customized physical therapy intervention program offers proactive evaluation and treatment of these issues before they result in the pain and disrupted physical mobility that can come with a bad fall. So senior patients can stay independent for years to come.
No-Wait Emergency Room
Patients 65 and older are fast-tracked in our Emergency Department. No wait means seniors are immediately taken to a room and quickly seen and treated by staff trained to care for geriatric patients.
Hurley Medical Center offers convenient parking options to get older patients or visitors safely to where they’re going. Things like:
- Free handicapped lots adjacent to the hospital entrance
- Free shuttle service from the visitor lot
- Valet parking available for a small fee. (Keep in mind: The Hurley Lobby Shop also offers a discount when you purchase a 5-pack of valet parking passes.)
For more information or to schedule an appointment at one of our conveniently located outpatient physical therapy facilities, call 810-262-2350.