Life and Success After Surgery
Individuals who are committed to their post-operative care are more likely to be successful in maintaining their weight loss than those that that do not complete the follow-up care.
Our team is devoted to your wellness and long-term success. With frequent follow up with your care team, we can monitor your progress, answer your questions and help you to continue to safely reach your weight loss goals.
Success following bariatric surgery also requires lifestyle changes, including:
- Bariatric Surgery Diet - You will learn how important healthy eating is in your weight loss journey. You and your team will discuss tips for avoiding nutritional deficiencies and they will work with you to create a personalized treatment plan.
- Exercise - Exercise is going to be very helpful in your weight loss. Please check with your expert care team before beginning a new exercise routine. The Hurley Health & Fitness Center (HHFC), located in Flint, Michigan, can aid in your weight loss after bariatric surgery.
- Body Contouring After Weight Loss - After rapid and extensive weight loss, some individuals will be left with excess skin or folds around their stomach, buttocks, thighs, upper arms and face. Bariatric body contouring after weight loss involves a surgical procedure that helps to improve the shape, elasticity and tone of your underlying tissue that supports the skin. It also involves removing excess fat and skin. Like all surgical procedures, there are risks associated with body contouring such as scarring, bleeding, and infection. Your bariatric surgeon will discuss the risks associated with the particular procedures you elect to undergo.
- Social Support and Weight Loss Support Groups - You will experience many changes on your weight loss journey and it is important to have the support of your family and friends. Weight loss support groups can also be helpful to you and instrumental in your success. The Hurley Bariatric Center offers a medically-supervised support group on the first Monday of every month from 5:30-7:00pm at the Bariatric Center. There is no cost to attend and no need to pre-register. Upcoming schedule:
- July 2, 2018
- August 6, 2018
- September 10, 2018
- October 1, 2018
- November 5, 2018
- December 3, 2018
- Peer Led Support - In addition to support groups led by members of our medical team, you may find it helpful to meet with your peers to discuss your journey with those that have experienced similar feelings and situations. Your peers can also inform you of other similar support groups throughout the state that may be beneficial to you and your success.
There is a peer-run support group held the 3rd Monday of the month at the Central Church of the Nazarene in Flint. Please contact Charles Nelson at 810-715-1202 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details.