Welcome to Hurley!
One Hurley Plaza, Flint, MI 48503 - 888-611-4462

Historic Milestones

1905 James J. Hurley donates land and $55,000 to the City of Flint to fund a hospital dedicated to serving the poor.
1908 December 19: Hurley Hospital opens with 40 beds, 6 bassinets and a staff of 8 nurses.
1909 Hurley Hospital Training School of Nurses begins diploma program. Over the next 85 years, more than 3,800 registered nurses graduate from Hurley’s program.
1911 Flint’s expanding auto industry requires the hospital to increase its capacity. A 2nd story over the west wing is added, including 7 private rooms and two 5-bed wards.
1912 The first nurses’ home is built. Hurley Nurses Training School graduates its first class of students.
1915 An Isolation Unit is erected through a gift from Charles Stewart Mott.
1917 Hurley opens a new maternity hospital.
1919 With a growing community and increased demand for healthcare, Hurley is expanded to 125 beds.
1922 Hurley begins its role as a center for medical education.
1924 February 24: Hurley begins construction on a new nurses’ home at the corner of Patrick Street and Sixth Avenue.
1928 The original Hurley building is replaced with two 11-story towers, creating 432 beds with the most modern diagnostic, surgical and medical equipment available, at a cost of $2 million.
1932 With an expanding role of nurses in healthcare, the School of Nursing revises its admission requirements to include high school graduates.
1940 During World War II’s Cadet Corps period, Hurley enrolls 3 nursing classes. The Nurses Training School is renamed The Hurley School of Nursing.
1953 A devastating tornado hits the Flint community, killing and injuring hundreds of local people. The response by Hurley and its staff is overwhelming – 500 patients are treated by Hurley’s Emergency Department and 300 are admitted to the hospital.
1954 The 11-story northwest (“C”) wing is completed. A new emergency department on the ground level facing Patrick Street at the rear of the hospital is opened the same year.
1956 Hurley Auxiliary holds organizational tea.
1958 The School of Nursing becomes accredited by the National League for Nursing.
1964 A new, modern nurses’ residence providing improved educational facilities is opened.
1973 Hurley Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) opens.
1973 Hurley becomes financially independent a final allocation of $50,000 from the City of Flint.
1977 Hurley NICU renovation expands the facility to a level III status with 44 beds.
1979 Hurley completes a $6.7 million renovation project called “The New Face of Hurley.”
1980 Hurley establishes its Corporate Health Services Program to help local companies improve the health of their employees.
1987 Jump Committee formed to foster a cooperative approach to Medical Center issues.
1989 Hurley becomes a Children’s Miracle Network Hospital.
1991 Hurley opens the Hurley Health & Fitness Center, the area’s only hospital-affiliated fitness center.
1992 Hurley and the University of Michigan-Flint enter into an agreement to offer a collaborative Bachelor of Science Degree of Nursing in Flint.
1993 The 100th class graduated from the Hurley School of Nursing.
1994 The Hurley Physician Health Organization is incorporated with a purpose of jointly negotiating managed care contracts for the hospital and physicians. The Hurley School of Nursing admits its last class.
1996 Hurley establishes a new entity, Hurley Health Services, to expand Hurley’s primary care network and operate community-based clinics and health centers.
1996 The Hurley Children and Family Health Center opens on Linden Road.
1997 Hurley’s Emergency Department becomes the area’s first Trauma Center verified by the American College of Surgeons as a level II Trauma Center.
1997 The Hurley Board of Managers establishes a strategic initiative to develop a new service line dedicated to the healthcare needs of adults 65 and older.
1998 Hurley Board of Managers approves the incorporation, by-laws and members agreement for the creation of the Genesys Hurley Cancer Institute.
1998 Grant proposal submitted by Hurley Medical Center seeks funding for the development of Flint Family Road, a separate non-profit agency offering services and programs for young families with the goal of reducing preventable infant and childhood deaths. Flint Family Road holds its grand opening in June.
1998 Hurley opens its first Senior Care Center at the Hurley North Pointe Community Health and Education Center.
1998 Continuing its commitment to excellence in emergency medicine, Hurley opens the area’s only Pediatric Emergency Department and the area’s first Chest Pain Center within the Emergency Department.
1999 Hurley Center for Comprehensive Weight Loss opens its doors. Genesys Hurley Cancer Institute is incorporated in December.
1999 With a goal of providing care for seniors close to their homes, Hurley opens two more senior care centers – West Flint Senior Care Center and Eastside Senior Care Center.
2000 Hurley Center for Comprehensive Weight Loss performs its first Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass surgery for treatment of clinical severe obesity.
2000 The American College of Surgeons awards the Hurley Trauma Center its highest verification as a Level I Trauma Center, enabling Hurley to join an elite group of U.S. medical facilities. Hurley is the first trauma center in the region to earn Level 1 verification.
2000 The Hurley Diabetes Center, a comprehensive program offering comprehensive diabetes services to both inpatient and outpatient customers, is opened at the Hurley Eastside Campus.
2001 Grand opening is held for the Hurley Northwest Kidney Center, a dialysis and educational center with 14 state of the art dialysis chairs and modules.
2001 Groundbreaking ceremonies are held for the new Genesys Hurley Cancer Institute, a 49,000 square foot facility to house the area’s most comprehensive array of outpatient chemotherapy, radiation, education and support services for cancer patients and their families.
2002 February 14: Genesys Hurley Cancer Institute opens the doors in its new facility on Kensington in Flint.
2003 Hurley Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) undergoes a $2.5 million renovation, completed on March 26. The project includes expanded space, high frequency ventilation equipment and specialized isolettes for premature infants. 
2005 Hurley begins construction on a new state-of-the-art laboratory with one of the nation’s largest automated systems.  The lab features a 65-foot automated track with highly specialized robotic equipment that performs diagnostic tests on fluid and specimens.
2006 Hurley Bariatric Center is designated a “Center of Excellence” by the American College of Surgeons. Hurley is the first bariatric center in the state of Michigan given this designation by the ACS, and one of only five in the nation with this accreditation.
2006 Hurley Trauma Center earns re-verification as Level I Trauma Center from the American College of Surgeons. Hurley is the first trauma center in the region to earn Level 1 verification and the only trauma center north of Detroit to earn this distinction.
2007 Hurley Orthopedics Center for Joint Replacement opens, positioning the medical center to become the premier facility in the area for joint replacement. This advanced clinical setting elevates the concept of patient care.
2010 Ground is broken for the new Paul F. Reinhart Emergency Trauma Center, a state-of-the-art Emergency Department which will provide the highest level of specialized care to the sick and injured.
2011 The new Main Lobby opens, the first phase of the new Paul F. Reinhart Emergency Trauma Center.
 
2012 The new Paul F. Reinhart Emergency Trauma Center and Children's Emergency Department open March 4, 2012.