Classes to help you have the best birth experience possible
At Hurley Medical Center, we focus on family-centered maternity care. To help bring about a positive birth experience and a good beginning for parenthood, Hurley’s Parent Education Department offers a variety of excellent educational classes taught by experts in the field – registered nurses who are certified childbirth educators and lactation consultants. The best preparation for welcoming your new baby starts with registering for one or more of our parent education classes.
For best availability, register by the 20th week of pregnancy. To register or for additional information, call the Parent Education Department at (888) 611-4462 or you may register online.
• Baby Care – Covers basic baby care including: bathing, feeding, safety, car seat safety, and doctor visits. In addition, sleep patterns, crying, soothing techniques, and newborn abilities and needs will be discussed. Practice infant CPR and choking. 3 Sessions/$30
• Breastfeeding – Breastfeeding is proven to give your baby the very best nutrition. Learn how to breastfeed, prevent problems, and combine breastfeeding with your active lifestyle. 2 Sessions/$20
• Lamaze Preparation – Learn what to expect, when to come to the hospital, and about the labor/birth process. Practice relaxation techniques, breathing patterns, labor support tips and medication options. Discuss your recovery and hospital stay. Caesarean birth preparation and a tour of the Birthing Center are included. 3 Sessions/$50
• Lamaze Refresher – For parents with previous birth preparation. Review relaxation, breathing patterns, and the labor/birth process. A tour is NOT included. 2 Sessions/$20
• Caesarean Birth Preparation – Join a Lamaze series for the session on Caesarean Birth. 1 Session/$10
• Sibling Class – For parents and children (ages 2 and above) to discuss newborns and becoming a big brother or sister. Includes a mini-tour of the Birthing Center. 1 Session/$10
• Specialty Classes – Grandparent Class: offers the latest information on childbirth trends and infant safety. Grandparents only. 1 Session, no fee
This basket is for expectant mothers who have been placed on bed rest and are unable to attend Childbirth Classes. Our bed-rest basket is available for a $30.00 deposit which will be refunded once the basket is returned. Our basket contains the videos, notebook, and handouts used for our Lamaze series. Order online or call the Parent Education office at (810) 262-9480.
To see pictures of your new baby, visit Our365: Professional Baby Photography.