The highest level of specialized, state-of-the-art medical care for trauma patients throughout Michigan
Level 1 verification is the highest credential possible from the American College of Surgeons (ACS) for any trauma center. The Hurley Trauma Center is affiliated with the University of Michigan Health Center and provides immediate response by a highly specialized, in-house team of trauma professionals 24 hours per day, every day of the year.
Trauma surgery performed on critically ill or injured patients—when seconds count
A trauma center is a system of care within an acute-care hospital that provides a well-organized, systematic and rapid response by healthcare professionals to adults or children that have been critically injured. An effective trauma response requires immediate action by a highly skilled, integrated team led by a general surgeon with special training in trauma. The trauma surgeon determines and organizes the appropriate treatment for the injured person. Trauma is a time-sensitive condition, and the Hurley Trauma Center has the speed, efficiency and experience to deal with the most intense demands of a critically injured patient. In most cases, trauma patients are in the operating room within 30 minutes of their arrival at the Trauma Center.
The only hospital in the region delivering the highest level of care for adults and children
As the area’s only Level 1 Trauma Center and Michigan’s northernmost facility, the Trauma Center at Hurley treats approximately over 1,600 patients per year from across the state. We are unique in our ability to provide comprehensive care to both adults and children, from our initial response to traumatic injury, through inpatient treatment in Hurley Medical Center’s 415-bed hospital as well as outpatient treatment and follow-up services. Hurley Medical Center offers a separate pediatric emergency services area, enabling us to provide child-focused care apart from adult populations, as well as a highly regarded Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU). Our Burn Center is unique among trauma facilities, enabling us to provide full-spectrum medical services to burn patients, from initial admission through inpatient rehabilitation and outpatient treatment.
Our trauma services include the following:
- Dedicated trauma facilities with state-of-the-art technology
- 24-hour coverage by board certified attending trauma surgeons
- 24-hour coverage in all key surgical disciplines: orthopedic; plastic; vascular; ear, nose and throat (otolaryngology); maxillofacial; and neurosurgery
- 24-hour coverage by in-house anesthesiologist
- 24-hour coverage for interventional radiology
- Region’s only Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- Region’s only Burn Center
- Dedicated Trauma/Neurology Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
- In-house, credentialed Adult/Pediatric Brain Rehabilitation program and staff
- Comprehensive quality assurance and improvement programs, including participation in the Michigan Trauma Quality Improvement Program (MTQIP)
- Leadership in community education and injury prevention programs