Dietetic Internship Program: Application Procedure
The application procedure, packet and program information will be emailed to any dietetic student or graduate who requests it from the Internship Director or prints it from Hurley Medical Center’s website. All application requirements must be postmarked by September 25th, 2013 in order to be considered for an appointment.
To ensure that full responsibility of accurate and timely applications remain solely with prospective dietetic interns, Hurley Medical Center requires paper applications to be submitted.
**We DO NOT participate with the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS).**
1. CHECKLIST: To be certain that you have included all materials necessary for your application to be complete, print out the Dietetic Internship Checklist for Application Packet. This Checklist must be placed on top of all required materials when submitted. Click here for the checklist.
2. The completed application packet must be postmarked by September 25th, 2013 deadline.
3. The completed application packet must include all of the following items:
a. Supervised Practice Program Application. Click here for the form.
b. A typed letter of application, in business letter format, to be no more than two pages. The letter should clearly address each of the following questions:
1) Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
2) What are some experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career?
3) What are your short-term and long-term goals?
4) What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
c. Official grade transcript(s), which bears the university seal from each college attended. If the student has graduated, the transcript should state the degree received.
d. For applicants who have not yet graduated, the form Declaration of Intent to Complete Degree and Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) Minimum Academic Requirements must be completed by the applicant and the academic advisor.
e. For applicants who have graduated, the Verification Statement of Completion of Didactic Program in Dietetics must be completed and signed by the applicant’s academic advisor (in non-black ink), with a full date (month/day/year) listed for the completion date.
f. Form C to be accurately completed by the applicant. Click here for the form.
g. A $50 application fee (personal check or money order made out to Hurley Medical Center). This fee is not refundable.
h. Three recommendations from professional persons qualified to give pertinent information. Do not send additional recommendations. (Also, do not send your résumé). The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’s Recommendation Form for Dietetics Education Programs must be used. Click here for the form.
The recommendations must include:
1) One instructor in dietetics curriculum.
2) Academic advisor.
3) Third reference may be from an instructor in dietetics or a related field, a supervisor of a work/volunteer experience, or the head of the department of the degree-granting institution in which the student is enrolled.
4. The application package is to be postmarked by September 25th, 2013. Send all original application materials in one envelope (if possible) to:
Dietetic Internship Director
Hurley Medical Center
One Hurley Plaza
Flint, MI 48503
5. All applicants to Dietetic Internships must participate in computer matching. Applicants must register online for computer matching and select dietetic internship choices by 11:59 Central Time on September 25th, 2013. There is a $50.00 charge for computer matching.