Pulmonary Rehabilitation Center
There is no worse feeling than being “short of breath.” If you have been diagnosed with a lung disorder, the Hurley Pulmonary Rehabilitation Center can help you breathe easier and continue the activities you love.
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation program combines exercise with education, breathing re-training, and psychological social support.
Individualized programs can be set up for patients who suffer from a variety of lung disorders, such as:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Chronic Bronchitis
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Lung Biopsy
All treatment is administered by licensed registered respiratory therapists.
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program Seeks To
- Reduce your shortness of breath and the anxiety that it brings
- Increase your exercise tolerance and ability to perform normal daily activities
- Help you better understand your lung disorder
- Educate you regarding the proper use of respiratory medications
- Teach you to master proper breathing techniques
- Provide instruction and motivation for you to start and maintain a home exercise program
How the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program Works
Phase 1 – After a physician referral is received, you will undergo an extensive evaluation which includes an interview and a 6 – 12 minute walk with your oxygenation checked by a respiratory therapist.
Phase 2 – The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program is an 8 – 12 week exercise program which meets three times a week in the Hurley Health & Fitness Center. During these monitored and customized therapy sessions, you will use hand weights, strengthening bands, the indoor track, an arm ergometer, treadmills, and rowing machines.
Phase 3 – An optional exercise maintenance program is available to continue your customized exercise regimen. Phase 3 can last as long as you wish.
For More Information
A physician referral is required to participate in Hurley Medical Center’s Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program.
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Center is located in the Hurley Health & Fitness Center:
4500 South Saginaw Street
Flint, Michigan 48507