Patient- and Family-Centered Care
An innovative approach to the planning, delivery, and evaluation of health care
At Hurley Medical Center, our hospital-wide commitment to Patient- and Family-Centered Care is not simply part of patient care–it defines the way we practice medicine. An innovative approach to the planning, delivery, and evaluation of health care, Patient- and Family-Centered Care is grounded in mutually-beneficial partnerships among health care providers, patients, and families.
An entirely new way to practice medicine
Patient- and Family-Centered Care represents a profound change in the way health care is provided to individuals and their families. Doctors, nurses, patients, and their families become genuine partners in a patient’s treatment. Within this partnership, patients’ and families’ opinions and choices, as well as diverse backgrounds, are recognized and respected.
A proud Pinwheel sponsor of the Institute for Patient- and Family-Centered Care, Hurley Medical Center is thoroughly committed to collaborating with patients and their families in all aspects of patient care.
Doctors, patients and families working together for medical care that’s better and safer
Rather than just telling our patients and their families what kind of treatment or surgery will be performed, our entire medical staff includes them in the decision-making process. Hurley physicians and nurses thoroughly explain all tests, surgical options, and potential outcomes involved with treatment, both positive and negative.
This constant communication not only makes patients and families part of the medical team, it produces better results and increased patient safety. Rather than having just a few medical personnel overseeing a patient’s care, an entire team is involved, advising and double-checking each other.
Patient- and Family-Centered Care Philosophy of Care
- We provide a safe, welcoming, and healing environment for patients and their families.
- We honor racial, ethnic, cultural, age, and socioeconomic diversity in all families and we allow our patients to define who constitutes their family.
- We recognize that a family is a culture unto itself and we respect the differences in family strengths, values, individuality, and coping methods.
- We highly value the partnership that exists between patients, families, and healthcare professionals. We rely on the expertise of each and we treat each other with dignity, respect, and compassion.
- We facilitate family and professional collaboration at all levels of health care.
- We encourage communication and information-sharing to strengthen the ability of patients and families to make informed decisions and accept responsibility for their health care.
- We offer choices, whenever possible, and fully support the patient and family in their decisions.
- We strive to promote patient and family competency by providing complete, thorough information.
- When there are differences in opinion, we seek quick and respectful resolution between ourselves, patients, and families.
- We are always alert for opportunities to improve patient care and increase safety and quality.
- We believe everyone at Hurley Medical Center has a role in caring for patients and families and we empower all staff to embrace patient- and family-centered care.
- We include patients and families in the design and evaluation of new and existing programs at Hurley Medical Center.
Patient and Family Partnership Council (PFPC)
Every voice makes a difference! This is your opportunity to help shape Hurley Medical Center’s health care services for all patients and families. Hurley’s senior leadership would like to invite you to consider applying to serve on the Hurley Patient and Family Partnership Council.
The Patient and Family Partnership Council is a partnership between families and Hurley staff to promote and support patient- and family-centered (PFCC) values and to help shape hospital services. We also have opportunities for patient and family membership to serve on several department-based PFCC councils.