Hurley Medical Center treats thousands of Deaf/Hard of Hearing and Limited English Proficient (LEP) patients each year. For these patients, seeking treatment can be confusing and stressful without a trained medical interpreter. At Hurley Medical Center, our goal is to make sure your experience here is as pleasant and comfortable as possible, from the time you walk through our doors until you are discharged. We believe that effective communication is essential to providing the very best care to our patients and their families.
Hurley is committed to:
- Providing our Deaf/Hard of Hearing and LEP patients with equal access to exceptional health care
- Educating patients and families about their right to receive free language services
- Raising staff awareness of culture and language and its impact on health care delivery
- Making medical documents available in various languages
Patients and Visitors
Hurley Medical Center provides interpretation and translation to patients of all languages throughout Hurley Medical Center as well as all our Hurley accredited off-site locations free of charge. Interpreters can be requested 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Face-to-face interpretation in over 150 languages
- High-quality telephone interpretation in all languages
- Video Remote interpretation in 8 languages
- Accurate translations of patient education materials
Hurley remains in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and PA 204, which requires that auxiliary aids, qualified interpreters and other services be provided in healthcare settings.
For clinic appointments, procedures and inpatient encounters, we provide:
- Professional Qualified sign language interpreters
- On-call interpreters for after-hours, weekends and holidays
- Sign language interpreters for Emergency Room visits
- Video Remote Interpreting
- Inpatient bedside Sorenson Videophone
- Closed Captioning for waiting room and lobby televisions
Hurley Medical Center is currently accepting applications for Certified Medical Interpreters. We especially encourage interpreters of the following languages to apply:
- American Sign Language
If you’re interested please send a copy of your resume to:
Andrea Vela-Rossman at AVela1@hurleymc.com