HandCare for Children
Specialized treatment for your child's hand and upper-extremity injuries and disorders.
The Hand Rehabilitation program is a team of specialized professionals dedicated to the effective restoration of function and prevention of dysfunction in the hand and upper extremity. We deliver patient-focused, educationally based programs that emphasize quality outcomes and cost effectiveness.
Our HandCare care philosophy:
- Rehabilitation through self-directed patient programs encourages active participation and communication to further the understanding of the impact of their condition.
- Effective and innovative treatment plans require team commitment to continuing education and research.
- Advanced training and skills are required of our therapy team, facilitating patient progress toward optimal recovery. Most have attained national certification status as Certified Hand Therapist (CHT).
- Communication among health care professionals, employers and insurers can achieve a partnership in which the patient and community benefit.
- Health promotion through injury prevention education is vital to reducing the impact of hand and upper-extremity injuries in our community.
Common disorders treated:
- Tendon injuries, including flexor and extensor tendon repair
- Tendon transfers
- Peripheral nerve injuries
- Arthritic conditions, including osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Burns/wound care, including scar management and Jobst garment fitting
- Congenital deformities
- Joint implants
- Cumulative trauma disorders, including carpal tunnel syndrome
- Tendonitis, including trigger finger/thumb, medial and lateral epicondylitis, and DeQuervain’s tenosynovitis
- Vascular injuries and disorders
- Shoulder injuries and related treatments, including rotator cuff repair and shoulder joint replacements
- Complex trauma injuries, including amputations and crush injuries
Specialized treatments offered:
- Customized splinting, including dynamic, static and static-progressive splinting
- Wound care
- Ultrasound, iontophoresis and phonophoresis
- Electrical stimulation
- Therapeutic exercise
- Edema and scar management
Hurley Medical Center, West Flint Campus
1085 South Linden Road, Suite 100
Flint, MI 48532